Friday, July 16, 2010

Another Small Amusement

11:55P

Today is another day of small amusements. I am in my car in West LA waiting for a traffic light and see a young man standing on the corner efficiently starting to peel a banana. He eats it efficiently, too, while waiting for the walk signal to cross, a Trader Joe's plastic grocery bag not very full sagging from his left hand, a pack-size travel bag slung over his right shoulder with a long strap holding it somewhere along his lower back, white iPod earphone cords dangling like a sparse beard. He finishes the banana. Traffic moves on. I am amused, not sure why, wish I had taken a picture with my iPhone.

I wonder as I tool along whether people in other countries live like we do, or if it is Only In America. Is the banana eater an American, or a traveler? He looked like a he was on a trip, but seemed right at home. Is that freedom Only In America, too? I really miss Roy during my speculations like this. Sometimes when I see something small, I still think fleetingly oh, I've got to tell Roy, he'll get a kick out of that! I am not very perceptive and he was, coming up with observations I would never notice, filling out more pieces of the self-generated puzzle which he initiated sometimes, playing the game, so to speak. So I try harder now without him, puzzling on my own. It's the little things in life.

Anybody want to play the game with me? Email me (you all know my email address) with your thoughts about the guy and why (out-of-state, not Californian, we eat more chips on the street and have water bottles, but maybe those were in the Trader Joe's bag, Californians use back-packs, not low-slung luggage, etc etc). You can add stuff that I don't know about, be serious or funny, or just ignore this d.u.m game. But I'll publish answers on my blog!

Respectfully submitted,
Miss Peach



No comments:

Post a Comment