Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Can This Marriage Be Saved?

11:30P Santa Monica time

Oh, no, rhymes again. Oh, well.

Can This Marriage Be Saved?
(Sub-Title by my mother:
If He Isn't Jealous of the Cats, He Should Be)
January 28, 1992 Re-Visited

Dedicated to Evita, Maria, Domingo and Juanita
with Apologies to Roy.....

I buy their food
I don't complain
I lug it home
I don't complain
I plan their meals with great variety.
I open cans and boxes, too,
I note the things they didn't like
So I won't get those things again.
I don't complain.

I open doors
I don't complain
I close the doors
I don't complain
I get up from a nice warm bed
To let them in or let them out
The upstairs window though they have
A cat door one floor down.

I welcome them upon my desk
They push my pens and pencils off
They lie upon my paper work
And yet I don't complain.
They lie upon my monitor,
With paws or tails obscuring screen,

They eat the printer paper some
And still I don't complain.

I pet them every time they pass,
I welcome them with lap inviting,
Laugh at how they move, and sit,
And talk and pout and stalk.

I smile to see their little faces
Waiting at the door to greet me,
Tails erect and posture
Queen-or-kingly,
As the case may be.

They are so careful, stepping cat-like
In and on and inbetween things,
Never making one misstep
Or damaging a thing.
But if they did
(They don't, but if)
But if an object would be damaged,
Broken, torn or toppled, well,
I'd easily forgive them, since
I know they couldn't help it
And I know they wouldn't do
That thing on purpose, anyway.

They're welcome on the bed although
They might have dirty feet,
But then, they'll clean their feet
(Although they do not
clean the spread itself.)
And if they choose the middle of the bed,
I don't complain,
I just arrange my life and body
Right around their little space.

And when they leave, I don't expect
Their telling me their destination,
And I do not ask them
When they're back
Where they have been.
I worry when they're gone too long,
I call them loudly and I don't
Particularly care
If all the neighbors
Think I'm strange.

I'm patient, kind and loving, with
No expectations from them, for
What else could they add
To our joint relationship
That we don't have?

They're perfect little beings
That were put on Earth to save us
From our "daily" daily living.
I'm in love.
I don't complain!

1 comment:

  1. A client/friend expressed an interest last night in reading my forewarned wordy blog when I told her I was blogging, and she responded kindly and flatteringly by email:
    Thanks, Helen! And I do like your blog: very stylish look, and, though wordy, you are a stunning writer! I guess all that journaling has paid off. I look forward to following it.
    xon

    ReplyDelete