Tuesday, June 8, 2010

My Favorite Restaurant - Gilbert's El Indio in Santa Monica

11:45P Santa Monica time

On my way home from our Bible Study group last night, I decided not to fix something with the mushrooms in my frig, but to go to.....Gilbert's!

I'm always comfortable at Gilbert's. Last night I had the booth by the waiters/kitchen entrance. A party of four might not want that spot, but I like it. Lots of to-ings and fro-ings so I never feel lonely. Everybody is friendly with me, consistent good service, and last night the veggie burrito was the best I ever had, anyplace, ever! Covered with red enchilada sauce, that reddish-brownish-tinge-one I love (I ask for that instead of the green), melted cheese all over the top, a huge veggie burrito on the plate, a perfect combination of rice and beans, cheese, lettuce, tomato, slices of avocado all wrapped tidily in a humungous flour tortilla. There must be a secret ingredient tucked away in there, too, or it couldn't be so good. Not spicy; if you like spicy like I do, you eat your burrito with the "nicely spicely" salsa brought to your table with the fresh hot tortilla chips, both refillable if you have the room.

I started this out to be a blog rave, but it's turning out to be a blog ad! I might as well convert it now. The only thing I haven't mentioned is the little bowl of raw carrot "checkers" as Roy used to call carrot slices cut in rounds, marinated in vinegar with onion slices, raw garlic chunks and various green herbs, with some hot red peppers to pretty and spice the serving even more. Oh, yes, and the delicious bottomless iced tea is served with a lemon wedge in handy, easy to hold screw top jars.

Oh, yes, I forget, there are various pitchers of margaritas and beer selections I see on many other tables, but I'm an iced tea person. Which is why my check is only $5.55 for that colossal burrito, plus the tab for iced tea and that nasty (sigh...) 9-3/4% California sales tax! I add the gratuity in true gratitude for the team of people involved in contributing to my pleasure.

Gilbert's is not a vegetarian place, they offer a full Mexican menu and specials. Add meat as a side or your main course, but this veggie burrito with red sauce is worth your time! Don't bring your credit card or checkbook to Gilbert's, it's cash only.

Sign the list at the door when you arrive in the evening hours and plan to wait a little bit at busy times, but it's worth it, and you might make some new friends.

Gilbert's El Indio, 2526 Pico Boulevard, Santa Monica, CA 310 450 8057

So much for Gilbert's right now, my favorite restaurant!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! Lets go next time I'm in LA ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part of an email from probably my oldest friend as friend:
    When I was reading your blog about the burrito, I was getting hungrier and hungrier. Sounded so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A young friend who lived in LA for a few years not so long ago, now a wife and mother of two darling girls, emailed me this week:
    "It's wonderful that you're writing a blog, and so diverse! Thanks for sharing. Reading about the burrito was surely tough being that I live in Israel (no Mexican food) :-)"

    ReplyDelete