Thursday, June 10, 2010

Hale-Bopp the Comet

07:55P Santa Monica time

I've been having a good time re-reading my journals in rhyme these past few days. Some things you truly forget in detail. Remember Hale-Bopp the comet? Of course, I couldn't let Hale-Bopp go by without some rhyme time. It was so exciting that you could see it with the naked eye in the city of Santa Monica from the street pavement! Here are three items from my 1997 rhyme diary:

Hale-Bopp the Comet (03/25/97 Tue)
Where's the comet?
I can't see it
when I stay inside.
If it'd stop to
pick us all up,
that would be some ride!


Hale-Bopp Revisited (04/01/97 Tue)
Hale-Bopp the Comet,
what a sight!
If you look up to the northwest,
there's its light;
With its million miles of tail
it is vast
and moving fast.
It's excitement in the sky
to see at night!


Reflections of a Comet (04/05/97 Sat)
Wouldn't it be funny if
the earth was in a comet's tail?
What if our little universe
was simply space debris?
It really wouldn't matter since
it wouldn't change our lives a bit
but thinking of it is a little
happy fantasy!


What really brought this to mind was not just re-reading the journals, but thinking how long ago 1997 seems now, thirteen years in real time but light years in technology. If anyone has a little extra time, you can get caught up like me in the Wikipedia link below.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_Hale-Bopp

This next link is thumbnails of the Hubble telescope pics in all their glory, such a fantastic site, so much to see if you have time. This is why I never get a lot done, because I'm so easily sidetracked by my internet addiction. But this is simply awe inspiring! A hard internet site to click in and click out of directly.
http://heritage.stsci.edu/gallery/gallery.html

And since today is threes, last but not least, Wikipedia re the Hubble, but first two paragraphs are enough, plus the chart down the right hand side of the screen.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Space_Telescope

Well, I hope you have enjoyed sharing something you probably never thought you would think about again, Hale-Bopp, the Comet, as it goes zooming away, away, away until it returns around the year 4385 did Wikipedia say? Wonder where I'll be then! Wouldn't it be funny if I was standing out in the street looking for it again......

No comments:

Post a Comment